Victoria''/''''''''''''''settle down''keyhole''t strain your abdominal muscles. After a few days, slowly resume your normal activities. Include regular, gentle exercise.
Long-term outlook after appendectomy
The appendix appears to be a redundant organ, since the human body manages quite well without it. There is no chance of ever experiencing appendicitis again, because the appendix is entirely removed.
Where to get help
- Your doctor
- Emergency department of your nearest hospital
- In an emergency, always call triple zero (000)
Things to remember
- Appendectomy is surgery to remove the appendix, which is usually found in the right lower side of the abdomen.
- Appendectomy is usually carried out on an emergency basis to treat appendicitis (inflamed appendix).
- A ruptured appendix can cause peritonitis, which is a potentially life-threatening complication.